The app costs $9.99, but it is definitely worth it.
The app has many functions and it goes well beyond just radar. In fact, there are several different views and dozens of different ways to look at storms. As they happen, before they approach and after they exit.
In addition to radar data, which includes precipitation, wind velocity and cloud heights, there is also an interactive feature to display storm tracks, as well as severe weather warnings. There’s even an option to plot spotter locations and see where storm chasers and other RadarScope app users are.
- Everything is at the touch of a finger. No more fumbling for links.
- Data updates quickly. You can literally update data every couple of minutes.
- Track where storms are headed with excellent accuracy.
- View radar sites all around the country, great if you travel or storm-chase.
- Loop images to track the progress of storms
- See what type of precipitation may be falling, including hail, snow and more.
- Check out the echo tops to see how thunderstorms are growing.
- Relatively easy-to-use interface.
- Maps and images are interactive.
- GPS function shows you were you are, in relation to storms.
Cons: (not many)
- Can only view one radar site at a time. Need to switch radar sites.
- The initial cost can be an obstacle.
- The base maps are fairly basic and cannot be changed.
- Cannot zoom in to see local streets (only shows major roads/highways).
Who’s it good for?
- If you track storms, like to storm chase/intercept or you want to have access to radar on the go, this app is great for you.
- If you need up-to-date radar when you’re not near a computer, it’s perfect.
- Coaches, sports players, boaters, etc. can use this app to avoid severe weather.
- Meteorologists use this app, as it’s one of the best around.
If you don’t mind shelling out 10 bucks, I’d say go for it. I haven’t heard any complaints about the app and almost all of the ratings are 5-stars.
They have made updates to the app and now you can click on the scales to get more detailed information. I believe the app becomes more interactive and user-friendly as times goes on.
800 total views, 0 views today